Moving to the Netherlands involves a lot of hassle, and one of them is the need for the right insurances. Although this is all meant for the best, it can be a bumpy ride to go through the whole application process. Because, first of all, where do you begin?

That’s why we are here because at PartnerPete we are glad to help you with the essential information to get you going. For starters; insurances are not that expensive in the Netherlands. Moreover, it covers quite some services, making sure you’ll have little to worry about. As the Dutch tend to have insurance for basically everything, we will focus on the essential insurances you will need as an expat in the Netherlands: health insurance and car insurance. Why? Because both of them are mandatory. In another article, we will tell you more about the top 5 insurances in the Netherlands.

Dutch Health Insurance

The current health insurance system was introduced more than ten years ago, back in 2006. The system is funded through health insurance fees and taxation of income. It is compulsory for all Dutch citizens to have at least a basic health insurance (or as we say, the basisverzekering). Apart from this basic insurance, you can also get yourself a few additional insurances, depending on your personal needs. This is not compulsory though.

Who needs a Dutch Health Insurance?

What if you’re not Dutch, but you do need health insurance? Don’t worry; we’ll guide you through the steps.

EU/EEA/Switzerland citizens
For EU/EEA and Swiss citizens, it is slightly flexible, at least if you’re staying here for a period under a year. This group can use their health insurance from their native country without a problem. Expats and their families living in the Netherlands for more than 365 days are required to get the Dutch health insurance. All holders from the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) may use this card in the Netherlands as well. This does hold for up to one year and also requires you to pay up front. The fees can be claimed back afterward.

Non-EU citizens
For those not from the European Union staying for longer for 90 days, a residence permit is needed before taking out the Dutch public insurance. Please be aware that it can sometimes be necessary to get additional coverage, depending on personal needs.

Students or non-salaried researchers may not be obliged to have Dutch health insurance depending on several factors such as the duration of their stay. People over the age of 30 who are employed or staying for more than one year are required to get Dutch health insurance.

Children younger than 18 are automatically insured via their parents in the Netherlands. It is required that their parents have a Dutch health insurance. Newborns must be registered within four months after birth. 

Still not sure if you need a Dutch Health Insurance policy? We teamed up with Clements Worldwide to provide world-class international insurances. Their service includes a complimentary insurance consultation to make sure you get a solution tailored to your specific needs. 

Car Insurance

Car insurance is compulsory in the Netherlands, so if you own a car, you will need to make sure you have one before you hit the road. It is required by law to have at least a Third-Party Liability (in Dutch: Wettelijke Aansprakelijkheid, WA) insurance. This insurance is applied to the car itself and does not necessarily count for the policyholder. That also means that anyone with a valid driver’s license is allowed to drive the vehicle without needing to be named on the policy. Therefore, please do bear in mind that the person who has insured the car is legally responsible for all damage caused in that vehicle. For that same reason, the insurance company usually only covers damage claimed by the policyholder.

Third-Party Liability insurance
This protects the policyholder against the risk of liability. It covers for all injuries and property damage (with some exceptions) caused by the holder of the insurance. Those exceptions can include intentional damage or damage to any rented vehicle.

Vehicle Protection
Although the Vehicle Protection insurance is not compulsory, it is definitely recommended to all vehicle owners. The reason is quite straightforward as it provides more coverage than the previous mentioned Third Party Liability insurance. The details of the policy depend on the insurance company, but we’ve listed a few typical examples just to get a better picture:

  • Accidents caused by animals (including birds).
  • Fire and explosions
  • Theft and joyriding
  • Storm and other natural disasters
  • Vandalism

All-risk insurance
The All-risk insurance combines Third-Party Liability insurance with Vehicle Protection and also provides a few extra services. It covers you for almost all kind of damage and although the details can differ per insurance a few examples of commonly included services are:

  • Collision, skidding and hitting the water
  • Other external causes

Not sure which Insurances you need?

PartnerPete can help you get connected to the best insurance companies in the Netherlands. Need any assistance in figuring out which insurance to take? Give us a call on +31 20 7372124 or leave your details and we will get back to you as soon as possible.